The city of Lesozavodsk rests on the
banks of the Ussuri River. It has developed from two Cossack villages Medveditskaya
and Donskaya, which were founded in 1895 and 1894 respectively. By 1938
all tree villages grew together into the city of Lesozavodsk. Its
very convenient location at the crossroad of tree transport routes (river,
railroad, and highway) boosted up its rapid development. In 1926
the city counted only around 2 000 residents. By 1959 its population
grew to 32 000 people, nowadays it exceeds 45 000 people.
Local industry accounts wood floating company, hydrolysis plant, and lumber and wood fiber-plate manufacturing. Lumber Processing Combine produces manufactured houses and construction parts, saw-timber, and household furniture. Besides those industries, Lesozavodsk has locomotive and carriage-repair depot, meatpacking business, and a bakery, that supplies the whole city of Lesozavodsk with freshly baked bread.
The local Forestry Technical College and Forestry School educate, train, and certify qualified personnel for the lumber industry . House construction is also a very rapidly developing industry, leaving the city beautifully landscaped with variety of different parks, gardens, and walking trails.
BAKLANOV P.Ya. et. al. Geography of Primorsky Territory.
Publishing House "Ussuri", 1997. Pacific Institute
of Geography, Far Eastern Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences