The battery is situated in the southern part of Russky Island 400 km away
from Novik Inlet. It consists of two towers three cannons
Voroshilovskaya battery is remarkable by the pace it had been established with. K.Ye. Voroshilov, Minister of Defense, approved the project in 1931. Only two years later the battery had been completed. Until now the visitors can see the emblems of Young Communist International drawn on the walls, the evidence of Komsomol members (Young Communist League) participation in the battery construction.
Completed in 1934 the battery strikes by the amount of work fulfilled. Its towers are crowned with five-floor concrete structures 15 meters deep, with concrete arch being 3.5 meters thick to stand up to a direct hit of a one-ton aircraft bomb. The second floor accommodates a shell cellar with 1 200 shells kept in zinc hermetic and heat-resisting containers (one shot needs two semi-charges weighting 76 kg and 32 kg), is equipped with an efficient anti-fire system. The third floor is a shell cellar with 600 shells delivered to the cannons by a special elevating system. At 25 meters depth the towers are connected by an underground passages 217 meters long. The towers and stems are electric motor operated. The battery is switched to an island power station and has a diesel system of its own. In urgent situations ten sailors rotate a tower by hands. Under the battery there is an artesian well 25 meters deep that supplies drinking water for the battery crew.
To transport shells to the battery a narrow-gauge railway has been constructed. It ran along the Novik Inlet coast from a pier to the battery hill-foot. At present the tourists can see only remnants of these pier and railway, more-or-less survived are the depot building and some embankment.
|The cannons were removed from battleship “Poltava” fixed at the Obukhovsky Works where they had been originally made before the First World War and transported to Russky Island to be installed on the battery.|
Yu. BERSENYEV , expert, Duma of Primor'ye
Copyright © 1998-2002 Computer Laboratory , Far East Geological Institute