Founded - in 1952
Population - 71 000
The city of Arsenyev is located on the banks of Arsenyevka River at the junction of Varfolomeyevka-Sibirtsevo (names of settlements) Railway and Trans-Siberian Railroad. This industrial city, in the heart of Primorsky Region, has been developed from the small village of Semenovka.
The Works Askold and Progress constitute the basis of the cityТs economy. Besides, the primary product, the Askold and Progress produces sport and training aircraft, laundry machines, electric equipment, diverse aggregates for poultry farms, and household appliances. On the Uvalnaya Hill in the city vicinity there is a Statue of Vladimir K. Arsenyevs (a scientist, prominent explorer of the Russian Far East, and a distinctive writer) which is about 4 meters high.
||Close to the statue there is a memorial rock with a bas-relief of Dersu Uzala (the character from Arsen'yev's novel, real person) on the front and udege (local minority name) ornamental pattern on the back. This memorial was constructed with the help of the funds collected by the people of Arsenyev and members of the scientific community of Russia to commemorate V.K. Arsenyev for his centenary.|
BAKLANOV P.Ya. et. al. Geography of Primorsky Territory. Publishing House "Ussuri", 1997. Pacific Institute of Geography, Far Eastern Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences
Copyright © 1998-2002 Computer Laboratory , Far East Geological Institute